Dysfunctional Lens Replacement
Vision correction solutions rise for those advancing into their 40s. Lance Kugler, MD an ophthalmologist in Omaha, says when we enter into our 40s, we all develop something called Dysfunctional Lens Syndrome (DLS). Dysfunctional Lens Replacement (DLR) is a treatment for DLS and reduces your dependency on reading glasses and bifocals. DLR is an all-in-one procedure that welcomes you into a new life without barriers!
3 Stages of Dysfunctional Lens Syndrome
As we enter our 40s, changes begin to happen to the makeup of our lens. These changes are described as Dysfunctional Lens Syndrome (DLS). DLS is completely natural and a part of the aging process, which can be described in 3 stages.
- Stage 1 – the beginning of DLS, typically between age 40 and 43. During this time we start to develop the need for reading glasses and bifocals.
- Stage 2 – the lens in the eye gradually becomes yellow, and vision quality decreases, specifically night vision. Stage 2 often begins in the late 40s to mid 50s.
- Stage 3 – also known as “cataracts.” The lens in the eye becomes cloudy and dark to the point that vision is impacted significantly. The average age for Stage 3 in the US is 73 years old.
DLS affects 100% of people; however, we now we have a solutions for these problems!
Treatment options for each stage of DLS
- Stage 1 – there are multiple options available for you! At stage one, your lens is still healthy and clear, so you may not need lens replacement. Laser vision correction (such as LASIK) is often a good choice at this stage.
- Stage 2 and 3 – dysfunctional lens replacement (DLR) is often a preferable option instead of laser vision correction, though laser vision correction may still be the best solution for some patients.
Benefits of DLR
DLR is an amazing advancement because we are able to fix many vision symptoms with one simple procedure! It is considered to be an “all-in-one” surgical option with multiple benefits. DLR not only corrects refractive error (glasses prescription), but it also allows us to fix the yellowing of the lens and provide clearer vision at the same time. Watch what Andy says about his lens replacement surgery from Lance Kugler, MD:
Another one of our recent DLR patients, Carol says, “I’m so pleased to be ‘cheater free’. I can drive, read, and best of all see my phone! It’s amazing to have distance and up close vision again.” DLR is also a smart financial investment. By investing in DLR now, rather than throwing money away for years buying glasses and contacts, patients save thousands of dollars! See your cost savings on Kugler Vision’s website.
Say Goodbye to Cataracts!
Patients who undergo DLR will not develop cataracts! DLR is a permanent solution that prevents cataract formation. Compared to past generations, people in their 50s and 60s are active and require high-precision vision. People do not tolerate the vision caused by stage 3 DLS any more. DLR provides an excellent solution for people who do not want to progress to cataracts. Please visit our lens replacement page on our website for more information.
Improve Your Vision
Discover your options at Kugler Vision in Omaha today! We provide one of the most sophisticated exam and screening processes in the nation and customize the evaluation for each patient’s individual needs. If you would like to improve the quality of your vision, please schedule your exam today!